Sunday, February 22, 2009

Taking a crazy leap

Hard to believe that the weekend has slipped away already, but that is the outcome when I get a chance to work in the studio pretty much uninterrupted. It is a luxury that I wish would happen more often, and relish in the next opportunity to dig into a creative mode. As I have been blessed lately with the workings of many books, I have come to find myself even more interested in the nuances of children's books. With that, I have decided to take a crazy leap into the writing side of children's books. I know that you think I may be crazy, but rest assured that I would also be doing the illustrations for these books. I have really come to find that I want my voice to be heard, even though it might be a little rough on the writing side. I am curious as to what other illustrators have to say on this subject. Is the notion of writing and illustrating your own books a calling as well? If so, what was the deciding factor in moving forward with sharing your words as well as your art? Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

6 comments:

Nina Crittenden said...

I hope that some day (if I end up becoming an established illustrator) that I might have the nerve to try to write and illustrate a book of my own. If you have an idea for a great book, go for it! We'll all be cheering you on!

Anonymous said...

I think if I want to illustrate the books I'm dying the illustrate, I'm going to have to write them as well. I don't have nearly as much confidence in my writing skills, though, so it would take quite a long time for me to even draft something. We'll see.

I want to read your manuscript!

Kerry Maguire said...

I'm on the edge of the pier, wanting to jump in...but fearful that I won't be able to swim. That's how I feel about wanting to write so I can illustrate what I'm passionate about.
Having illustrated several non-fiction books, I found that I love to RESEARCH! So I've begun researching what interests me for a children's non-fiction book, but not touched a rough draft yet.
Take that "crazy" leap, Shawn, maybe we'll follow!

Shawn McCann said...

Thanks Nina. I know that you will become that established illustrator you deserve to be and maybe even that author! Its all up to what we truly want to be!

Shawn McCann said...

Thanks Christina. I feel the same way. It is definitely going to be a bumpy road with trying to write, but maybe if I just start working it out, something might pop. Anyways, I would love to share the manuscript with you when it is of a legible format :)

Shawn McCann said...

Kerry, I know you can do it as well! It is something that maybe we all should try and do! who knows, maybe we might just have a good laugh at the attempt! It is great to see you stop by the blog, do come back for more!