Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A break of sorts



Having worked night and day the last two weeks on a huge illustration project, i can finally say it is in the hands of the client and I am in the process of straigtening out the studio for the next one. As I work on more and more of these, it is amazing how fast the time goes and when you look back it is almost a blur. I have found that the steady work has done wonders for the process in that everything seems to flow faster, from the sketches to the finished illustrations. I guess when you know what needs to be done and you just go for it you naturally find quicker ways to do the same work. Or maybe, I am just taking less time thinking about it and going thru and doing it. I don't know, but I like it. Hopefully I can take the energy that I am currently on and transfer it to the other work that is looking at me now.

Another thing that I have been aware of lately is documentation of my work. As more and more artwork is getting produced and sent out, I have found that it gets difficult sometimes to properly document something before it leaves. Fortunately, I have a great scanner and digital camera that can always be used to keep up to date, but then there is the backup of the digital archives and such that seem to get lost sometimes (or backlogged). In any case, I am excited that thru the course of this summer, things have been on a nice steady pace and one that leads me to think that a day job may not be needed in the not so distant future. One can always hope that art alone will be the source of all I may need, but that is just my thoughts now that things are a little happier. The better time I suppose to ask these questions is when it is slow and the same bills come due!

In other news not related to my ramblings, I have followed thru on a few juried art show entries that I have been meaning to get out. With any luck, I hope to hear back from those in the next month. So, off to clean up the rest of my studio and then start back in on the paintings tomorrow. Ohh, by the way, the image above is a charcoal piece that I did a couple of years ago of Buddy Guy. I have been listening all night to some blues music and thought it would be fitting to throw up an image that was of the same subject matter.

10 comments:

Janets Planet said...

Glad things are going well.

Rolls are good things to be on. Buying canvas in packs seems to motivate to do a series. Once started, must be completed.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Beautiful drawing, Shawn!

I have found that I keep up better with documentation because of the blog. It forces me to prepare my digital files right away in order to post the images. I used to get ay behind on all that too.

Shawn McCann said...

I know exactly what you mean Janet. Thanks for the thoughts.

Shawn McCann said...

Thanks Tracy. I too have found that the blog ( and all that visit) have kept me on my toes when it comes to keeping up on things. Sometimes it is good to have that outside influence keeping you to task!

Janets Planet said...

Ohh, that is kind of scary as I wrote that late when I could sleep and wasnt sure if what I had written was relevant to your post!

Well, I took my own advice and picked up some more canvases today. :-)

Shawn McCann said...

NIce to hear from you again Janet. I knew exactly what you meant! I too have sometimes left some interesting posts. Its so easy to type as it comes out and there it is posted. The best is once I left a message on someones blog and realized I left it on the wrong one after seeing an image of someone next to the comment box and started thinking about that persons blog. So sad, yet funny!

Cynthia said...

Go to the Snag website and grab some of those forms to help document your work, if you haven't already that I talked about before. It's so much easier to do it when you finish a project then to try and document the past 2 year's worth of work.

I wish I had more of your focus - that's just what I lack somedays.

Janets Planet said...

So sad. Apparently I cant spell either. Could should be couldn't.

Shawn McCann said...

I have actually downloaded some of those forms Cynthia and am looking forward to using them. That was alot of great info you had in your post. Thanks.

Shawn McCann said...

At least you are good at spell check after the fact. Thanks for visiting and hope you have a great start to your weekend!