Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sundays underpainting


It's amazing what you can get done when you get a day to work in the study(minus a few peeks at the football games of course). This is the start of a scene that I encountered out at the Grand Canyon a few weeks ago. I was struck at how beautiful this twisting tree with half its leaves was that I forgot for a moment of the grandness that was behind it. For all the images that I saw while I was there, it was some of the ones like this that stuck in my mind the most. Funny how the mind works like that. The painting itself is being done in oil and is a fairly large piece at 36" x 48". I am looking forward in the next few days to start working in more detail and starting to see the painting really take off. The other painting that I am working on as well is a portraiture that is starting to come together too. Between the two I should be kept busy in the coming days.

3 comments:

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Good morning! What a wonderful site to wake up to on such a cold morning. The colors remind me of so much that we are missing since we came back just a couple of weeks ago from a terrific Christmas Holiday in the Phoenix area. What are we doing here in the cold???? We seem to ask ourselves that alot lately. Well Shawn, this painting looks great. I can't wait till it's completely done. I'm glad you can express your talent and share it with us. Have a great day :).

Megan said...

Hey Shawn! It looks absolutely amazing! I love the contrast between the lone tree and the background. Jason said you have a buyer once it's finished, but I will have to see--Ha Ha! You never cease to amaze me, I can't wait to see the finished product!